Monday, June 3, 2013

Optimization Solver Benchmarks

These days I use a lot of optimization in my research. The optimization method called Sum-of-Squares of polynomials (SOS) programming is the essential backbone of my research topic. Two years ago I started to play with Prof. Megretski's spot (Systems Polynomial Optimization Tools), which is in Matlab and based on Sturm's Sedumi (and sadly just notice Dr. Sturm has passed away since 2003). This spot/Sedumi combination worked fine most of the time, but for more print-out information and options, I followed Prof. Parrilo's suggestion for Yalmip, which has better up-to-date support for SOS. (Interestingly SOS and its first tool SOSTOOLS was created by Parrilo and I was suggested away from his software.) Since then, I have been using Yalmip/Sedumi for most of my work for a while.

However, there are still hiccups for this combination. Sedumi sometimes reports possible bad quality solutions or stops iterations. Yalmip may kindly warn me to check, for example, whether the SOS decomposition is fine. However, that seems not a permanent solution. Therefore, I start to look around for other solvers. Most of optimization problem formulators by default at least support Sedumi and SDPT3. Luckily, Yalmip supports various types of solvers as its own backends. That makes my porting work between solvers much simpler.

So here comes the problem: how to choose between solvers? People argues several criteria, such as solution quality, solution feasibility, speed for certain problems, and more. This note gives some ideas.

And for speed, here is a well-compiled benchmark list, by Prof. Mittelmann at Arizona State University.


No comments:

Post a Comment